- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (five 10-ounce) packages)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Jarlsberg cheese (Swiss may be substituted)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the flour, nutmeg and cinnamon and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened. Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
3. Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Jarlsberg on top. Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Download the recipe card for this recipe: Recipe_Spinach & Jarlsberg Gratin